You are here
Small business linux server
A server is a computer which acts like a library for files, and programs. A server provides services to other computers on a network. Such services include sending and receiving emails (Email Server), hosting web sites (Web Server), storing files and documents (File Server), mysql databases and many more.
What is linux?
Linux is a Unix-like operating system that was designed to provide personal computer users a free or very low-cost operating system comparable to traditional and usually more expensive Unix systems.
Linux Server operating systems that we use
Why do you need a linux server?
1. Centralized file and email storage
When a linux server is setup as a file server, it provides a central storage for all you company files and documents.
- Files on the linux server are backed up on a regular basis. If you inadvertently deleted an important file on your computer, it can be retrieved from the linux file server. In addition, if you have a hard drive failure the files you saved on the linux server will not be affected.
- Files can be shared with others. Several people may be working on a document. Storing the file in a shared directory allows each person to directly work on the document as needed.
- If you use several computers in the course of your work, files on the linux server are available from any local computer. So you have access to the files whether you are at your personal office computer or using a coworker's computer.
- Network printing is a great way to save money on equipment. It saves the cost of individual printers for each employee and allows work to be sent to the appropriate machine electronically, without having to run from office to office.
2. Remote file and email access
Using VPN (Virtual Private Network), employees can access files, emails and other resources on the linux server from home or while they are traveling. Link Company networks to each other without the expense of a leased line between your branches.
3. Monitor internet usage
Software to monitor internet usage, can also be installed on a linux server; this software:
- Shows how much internet each employee is using.
- Generates reports on which websites were visited and who visited them.
4. Web Content Filtering - Control internet access
Another reason you should consider having your very own linux server for it can be setup to:
- Give you control to what web sites your employees can access. Unwanted web sites can be blocked, downloads can be blocked, thereby saving internet bandwidth.
5. Email server - Send and receive emails locally - save internet bandwidth
- With your very own local email server, emails going within the company do not have to go through the internet, thus saving internet bandwidth.
- Provides enough storage for your emails as most Internet service providers usually offer small space for mailboxes. Big mailbox space cost more.
6 . With a firewall installed and setup, your linux server and all computers are safe from being accessed by hackers.
7. Monitors printer usage
Your linux server can also be setup as a print server and will among other things:
- Show how many documents, what documents, how many pages and who printed them.
A linux server can also be setup as a domain controller.